Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Metal Idol Goes Wylde

Tonight on Idol, we were treated to performances that showcased movie tunes. This could have gone sideways, which it did in a couple cases, or it could have kicked some serious @ss which it most definitely did at the end of the show.

But enough about the singing competition... we must first celebrate Jenny down the street's designation as the most beautiful woman in the world. Hat's off to ya, JLOWW!!! Was she not eating that up or what? She was glowing like a neon Schlitz sign at the local pool parlor all night long.
We are also warned again that we must vote for our favorites, or dare suffer the fate of poor Pia Tobasco, who got yanked from the Idol stages long before her time was due. Why? Yes, I was pretty peeved that Pia was presented with pinkslip before the likes of Joey and Jakub, but after I pondered the reasons why America crapped on itself, I figured it out. She did not have a "built-in" audience. The people that vote for Joey and the rest of the younger singers are because Idol's voting system is royally effed up. The tweens and teens are out in full force sending unlimited text votes to the wrong people! Limit voting to 10 votes per voting source, whether it is phone, text or internet. The technology exists! Pia's target audience is what? Guys in bars (according to Lips Tyler) and Pia's family. Sorry, but the chuckleheads in the bars are not voting.

Now, on to the show...

First up is Paul McChiclets - Old Time Rock and Roll by Bob Seger: This was classic Paul. Looking like Bradley Cooper dressed like a magician at a Nursing Home. Same wispy thin voice and the teeth are whiter than liquid paper. The performance was just okay. I keep asking myself why he doesn’t sing any Paul Simon. B

Lauren Elcamino - The Climb by Ciley Myrus: Lauren can just flat out sing anything. If she can make a Hannah Montana Banana song sound decent, then she's alright in my book. Sorry Miley, you just got pwned! A-

Joey Tribiani Langone - End of the Road by Boomerang?: Perhaps it IS the end of the road for Joey. Time to go to "Central Perk" and have a skinny latte with Smelly Cat. Man, I did not see this coming... a ballad. Technically, again, it was good and I can't give him a FAIL, except for the fact that he fails to entertain me. I was not familiar with this song either. B-

Scotty McCountry - The Wrong Song by George Strait: I was BIG TIME disappointed that Scotty chose this yawner over the song he was rehearsing. Why Scotty why? Et tu Scotte? I am still shaking my head because his rehearsal song blew me away and then they tricked us into thinking that was going to be the one! Ugh, this was a letdown for me. B

Grizzly Abrams - Nature Boy by Nat King Coleslaw: This eclectic little ditty will either haunt him forever or sail him through to next week. Tough to call. I am betting that the teens will not be texting millions of votes for our favorite bear. I really admire the originality of this performance, but if the goal is to get votes, this might not be successful. A- (for having the berries to do his own thing)

Hailey Miniskirt - Call Me by Blonsky: The song definitely fits the personality and stage persona to a T. Unfortunately, the singing did not maintain that level of swankiness. The first note was cantankerous, and the rest of the song was good karaoke. Her momentum just hit a wall. Maybe if she wears an even shorter skirt next week (if she makes it), she can keep stealing votes. C+

Jakub Lush - Bridge Over Troubled Water by Simon and Garfunkenstein: Jakub, you are a nice guy with a really big, fluffy @ss. And you have a great voice for large churches. However, your singing is making me want to fill my ears with Elmer’s Glue-All. Holy crap, I really want to like his singing, but I just cannot freaking do it. B-

James Daredevil Durbin - Heavy Metal by Sammy Hagar: And featuring Zach Wylde on guitar. I am so proud of James for standing up for what he believes in and picking dignity and originality over what JIMMY and Capt Autotune wanted him to do. A+ for attitude. James knows who he is and what he can do and he proved it tonight by kicking the living crap out of the competition. Yah I know, I'm a metal guy myself, so I am biased, right? Perhaps, but I think the way the crowd reacted and how the voting goes will prove that this performance was flawless from inception to execution. A

Now that is the way to end the evening. Once again, nothing was horrible, but song choice may come back on a couple of these yahoos.

Rankings for Movie Night:

James Danger Durbin
Lauren Alkaline
Grizzly Abrams
Paul McSqueaky
Scotty McCreaky
Joey McTribiani
Jakub McLush
Hailey McReinskirt

My bottom 3, NOT based on my rankings, but based on how America votes (idiots), is Hailey, Joey and Grizzly Abrams. I'm afraid that Grizzly might be going home because the risk he took to do his own thing may have cost him. Which is unfortunate.

Next week I am out of pocket, so an article may or may not be coming. I will be locked in a dungeon on the east coast for a week with no TV. I will try to "youtube" the show and hopefully squeak something out for y'all...


OUT

4 comments:

LeslieI said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Aaron Johnson said...

I haven't watched yet, but knowing that Zakk Wylde was on there makes me want to go back and at least watch that performance. This kind of makes me wonder...if they start allowing guest musicians, at what point does that begin to unfairly influence the voting?

Mark said...

I will have to disagree with you on the performances. I usually like to see what Paul, Scotty, James and Casey bring, but man I think they all kind of blew it last night.

I think that Casey and James fell into the trap that Casey fell into the week they used the save, which is doing what they want v. what their fans want. Now, I could be completely off...they may be getting fan letters like crazy saying things like, "Do Metal" or "Jazz songs we've never heard of" or such. If they are, they will get the votes.

If I were to guess, which I am totally doing, I would say that Casey and James are most at risk. If Simon were on the panel yet, I would bet he would say they were both self-indulgent in their choices.

It looks like James was really wanting to do the Metal thing, but he was looking WAY nervous about the whole thing when talking about it before and on the stage afterwards.

Jacob delivered the same as always, but without the preaching, so I would guess he will be out of the bottom three (but maybe not by much).

I guess we will find out tonight.

Angryman said...

Aaron,you are correct... although I was thrilled to see Zach Wylde, I thought it might be adding a little favortism to James' performance, but I still loved it! ;)

Mark, I agree with Casey and Paul, but I believe James blew it out of the water. Casey is in danger, but James will keep going. Paul is a wildcard for sure. I love that James went against the grain and did his own thing. Simon may have said overindulgent, but as a fan, I was moved by the chutzpah this kid has, and the performance to back it up.